Thank you to everyone who made it to this morning’s Charity Exchange meeting. We heard from Answer Scholarship Endowment, The Dove House, and The Mooresville Soup Kitchen, all three of which are excellent non-profits; however, we could only pick one to be our charitable focus for the next year. We have tallied the votes, and the Answer Scholarship Endowment will be our “2016 Charity of Choice.” Their mission is as follows: “to assist women raising school-age children in fulfilling their dream of earning a college degree, while creating the desire, the expectation, and the priority of a college education for their children to follow in their footsteps.” Starr Miller and Cristy Carroll will serve as liaisons and head up our volunteer efforts.
As mentioned in previous emails, I have several goals for us for 2016. You can read the full list on our newly designed website by following the link at the end of this email; however, I would like to highlight two of them today.
- Offer more pop-up meetings for members. We had our first pop-up of 2016 following the January board meeting, and had several ladies make it out for wine and appetizers at Cork & Cask. It was a fun evening and great to get to know some of you better. Our next pop-up meeting will be February 17th from 5:30-7pm at Cork & Cask. Mark your calendars and I do hope you can join us for some casual time together.
- Create a participation expectation for members to attend at least four meetings or events a year. For those who can’t regularly attend meetings or events, there are other ways to participate such as sponsoring breakfast, being an event sponsor, volunteering with our charity of choice, or attending another member’s event (such as a ribbon cutting, open house, etc). Members who are not able to meet this participation expectation (which equates to earning 20 points/ year per our published point scale) who are in a closed category with someone on the waiting list, will be asked not to renew their membership for 2017.
- Participation Expectation – 20 Points/Year
- Breakfast Meeting, Luncheon, or Social – 5 Points
- Breakfast or Social Sponsorship – 5 Points
- Pop-Up Meeting – 1 Point
- Member Event Participation – 1 Point
- Volunteer with Charity of Choice – 1 Point
- Board Meeting – 1 Point
The participation expectation is new, but the board has been working towards implementing this goal for several years. We want EWLKN to be a group of active members who can contribute to our collective intelligence.
Thanks again to everyone who made it to the morning meeting today, and stay warm out there!